[Towertalk] Knots

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Knots
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L Martin)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 10:28:05 -0600
To continue the sea stories subthread, I crewed on a Cal-40 racing in
Galveston Bay and the Gulf of Mexico for about 15 years.  I don't recall a
bowline ever working itself loose on our boat.  I don't even remember anyone
checking before tacking.  When on a tack, the windward sheet (line) is slack
and tension is off that bowline knot at the genoa clew while the leeward
sheet has the strain.

Out in the Gulf, there were opportunities for being on one tack for hours
and hours, even days (Galveston-Vera Cruz race).

I think that if there was a concern about the bowline going loose and
possibly letting go, it wouldn't have been used or we would have done
something to preclude it.

Maybe the conditions onboard weren't conducive to knot loosening.

Under exactly what conditions will an unloaded bowline knot become loose?

73,
dale, kg5u