[Towertalk] Knots

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Knots
From: jimsmith@shaw.ca (Jim Smith)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 01:59:39 -0800
Hi Don,

Well, I have.  I guess you guys weren't using the 3/16" yellow
polypropylene rope from the local hardware store.  I used some for tying
down a tarp.  One of the lines didn't any tension on it.  Near as I can
tell the springiness of the "rope" opened up the bowline somewhat, a
little wind came up and, bingo, no knot.

I have found, with the same material, that a reef knot will just pull
out if I tug on both ends of the line due to the small amount of
friction present.  A sheet bend seems to work better (yes, the lines
were the same diameter even though a sheet bend is, I understand,
intended for lines of different diameter).

Of course, no one with any sense would use this crap for anything
serious.  (Do you want to hear my story about guying a 60 ft tower in
the back yard with nylon rope when I was barely out of my teens and
didn't know anything?  Ever try to go out the front door and find the
way blocked by your tri-band quad?)

73 de Jim Smith    VE7FO