[Towertalk] Knots

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Knots
From: tbeltran@earthlink.net (Thomas Beltran)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 19:26:14 -0800
> Towertalk has the distinction of carrying the only mention of bowline
> self-loosening I've seen in my entire lifetime. Maybe it doesn't
> happen.

I looked at perhaps 50 web pages on knots, and several articles talked about
the self-loosening  aspect of the Bowline (I personally cannot comment
either way - I'm just trying to understand what knot to use).  The reasoning
seems to be that there is not enough internal friction in that knot.  The
recommendation was to use a figure-eight knot on the free piece of rope to
the knot from loosening.  Also, the strength of the Bowline varied
(depending on the article) from 50% degredation in strength, to around 30%.

Today, I finished my tower installation - just need to do some adjustments,
and then put on the antenna.  The tower is an old Tri-Ex THD-354.  The ham I
bought it from never guyed it, but everyone I've spoken with has suggested
that it definately should be guyed.  The prior owner used a TH3MKIII, and I
am using a 3 element SteppIR, which has a bit more surface area.  I plan on
using antenna rope for the guys, 5/16" double braided polyester.  I had good
results on my former pole tower support with this material.  But I was
thinking about what kind of a knot to use - hence the relevance of this
thread.  As far as I can tell, for the guys, the best knot seems to be the
Buntline Hitch, which was discussed previously in this thread.  It seems to
be more for a permanent type knot. Any ideas?  Tom W6EIJ