[Towertalk] Knots

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Knots
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 09:54:53 -0600
Agreed, Phil.  Yeah, the one handed bowline trick is pretty cool.

The only thing I thought of is looking at the type of load applied to the
knot.  In sailing, we generally have pretty static (albeit large) loads
applied to the knot.  Or the loads change relatively linearly.

In a fall, you have no stress on the knot, then suddenly a large peak stress
for a short period and then a relatively low force static load (ie: the
person hanging).  Perhaps the bowline while it performs exceptionally well
under very large static loads, does not fare as well under impulse type
loads.

I don't know - I am speculating.

But if the bowline was such a bad knot, sailors the world over wouldn't be
using them.  And if the forces are huge on a J-30 or Benneteau One-Ton then
they are enormous on an America's Cup Millennium Class.

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 12/20/02 7:42 AM, kb9cry@attbi.com at kb9cry@attbi.com wrote:

> I concur with Jon, having 20 years of yacht racing under my belt; racing the
> same circuit as Jon does.  A bowline is actually very easy to tie; with
> practice one can even do it single handed (helps when you're in the foredeck
> position) and one can break (untie) it easily when it is wet.  These knots are
> under extremely high loads, a lot more than the average ham can induce, and I
> too have never seen a bowline knot fail.  Its the only knot I use for hoisting
> or on loaded lines.  I am not a rock climber but will admit those folks need a
> strong knot also.  Phil  KB9CRY

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA