Re: [TowerTalk] time to modernize the reflector

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] time to modernize the reflector
From: Bryan Fields <Bryan@bryanfields.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 13:18:08 -0400
On 8/25/19 1:12 PM, k7lxc@aol.com wrote:

> Excuse my ignorance but I don't see the distinction between the two. The
> Mailman lists like this one all have administrators that can moderate the
> list which means that some stuff doesn't get posted (censored) based on
> their particular agenda.

With mailman it's quite obvious that it's happening, as anyone moderated will
get an email and/or see the delay in the post.  It's also very difficult to
edit a moderated message before it's released.  Once released, you can edit
the archives, but 1000's of people have your original message.

A forum permits editing and changing replies quite easily.  It also make it's
very hard to use things like GPG to sign a message.  Can in point, look at all
the editing that QRZ did to the Ham Radio Deluxe threads when they went nuts
and started to ban users for bad reviews.

> The contesting reflector is moderated while TT is
> not.

Another reason why I don't do contesting.

> It sounds like there are some minor (?) problems with groups.io but IMO the
> benefits far outweigh the problems.

Well you'd be giving up ownership of the group to a third party.  With you
hosting your own list, you can take the config and move very easily.  I
maintain a few lists and we rsync them to a third party server ever hour.  If
the owners need to move, you setup mailman with your MTA of choice and go.

Sure they are not evil now, but understand it's not free, you (we) are the
product and the payment.  Groups.io can at any time discontinue their service
without notice.  Features that you take for granted in mailman, such as
confirming members and adding members to the list are not present in the
"free" version of groups.io.

If you're looking to make a move, check out mailman 3.  It's a really nice
rewrite and rethink of mailman.

73's
--
Bryan Fields