Re: [TowerTalk] Mast slippage

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast slippage
From: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 16:27:15 -0700
In my youth I spent some time working in the automotive machine shop that my dad ran.  Disk brakes were unheard of then, so everything was drums.  (I'm dating myself).. In addition to the asbestos dust that we breathed while machining the drums we often ran into "hard spots" that totally resisted the carbide cutting tool and required the use of the grinding attachment.

Speaking of low-grade iron, most Ford crankshafts were cast iron, while the other guys were mostly using forgings.  I took a 272-292-312 series Ford crank out of the "hot tank" degreaser one day (a nearly boiling tank of lye) and stood it on its flange to hose it off before grinding it.  When I hit it with the spray it tottered and fell over.  When it hit the floor it promptly broke in half.  The reason was that there was a harden ball bearing ball cast into the shaft.  This was from an engine that had been run.

Wes  N7WS