Re: [TowerTalk] Understanding Coax Loss Measurements

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Understanding Coax Loss Measurements
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 11:08:15 -0800
On 11/28/2020 3:43 AM, Kirk Kleinschmidt via TowerTalk wrote:
I'm trying to characterize some coaxial cables and various connectors, and the
results from my two measuring methods aren't reconciling well. My understanding
of the tools is also less than complete.

First, make sure that your VNA is well calibrated. For cailbration, you will need standard Open, Short, and 50 ohm parts.

Then, use it to make S11 measurements over the frequency range of interest. I'd go with 1-50 MHz. Then download a copy of AC6LA's ZPlots Excel spreadsheet, export your data to it, and follow his instructions for characterizing the cable.

This will give good results for coax and two wire line of any impedance.

73, Jim K9YC