Re: [TowerTalk] Understanding Coax Loss Measurements

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Understanding Coax Loss Measurements
From: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 19:10:20 -0700
That doesn't work.  No matter how you choke the analyzer connection to the computer, it is still an unbalanced load.  And you must consider it as a load, particularly if you're using an open/short load s11 method as described by Chipman or you're measuring a line of significantly different impedance from the measurement system impedance.  In either event, the msmatched load is also a generator for the reflected waves and the analyzer is an unbalanced load for those reflections.

I thought to update my ladderline work using lower frequency instruments than what I had available 30 years ago.  I have several VIAs and a couple of VNAs.  Three of the VIAs, are battery-powered and I thought that would solve the unbalance issue. It didn't; I got wildly variable results until I started adding a bead balun (I know you don't like that word).  I ran out of beads at 32" of RG142 and it was still not enough at 2 MHz.  At that point I gave up and moved on to more interesting things.

Wes  N7WS