Re: [TowerTalk] Understanding Coax Loss Measurements

To: Edward Mccann <edwmccann@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Understanding Coax Loss Measurements
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 14:02:45 -0800
On 11/28/20 11:47 AM, Edward Mccann wrote:
If I use the VNA with direct input of ladder line, say nominal 450 ohm Zo, but
with measured parameters more near 400 ohms, should I not run OSL calibration
with a 400 ohm load prior to running the sweep?

The response below seems to imply that calibration with a 50 ohm load will yield “good
results for coax and two-wire line of any impedance?”

Yes, if you use AC6LA's spreadsheet. It takes care of the impedance.

Or does the creation of a reference plane with 50 ohms in the OSL calibration
yield results for a wide varieties of feed line?

Yes, you can test anything with a 50 ohm reference cal, you just have to adjust for the non 50 ohm system you're testing.

(one can spend a lot of time arguing about whether you'd be better off doing a cal with an impedance closer to your system impedance, but ultimately, it's the same measurement, just different math)

Basic question.

Best from the West
AG6CX

Sent from my iPhone