Re: [TowerTalk] High-Tension Wires

To: "Paul F. Merrill" <marinesvcs@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] High-Tension Wires
From: kq2m@kq2m.com
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 06:32:42 -0500

Before I bought the house at my present qth (which has HV lines cross my driveway near the street ~ 550' from my house), I made a dipole and brought my radio up to the qth and listened on the dipole as I tuned around on 10-160. I heard low level noise that sounded like it could be the HV lines and that repeated at regular freq. intervals but it was minor and not likely to be a major problem except possibly on 80 and 160.

I bought the qth - that was 28 years ago. With bigger directional antennas I hear the noise louder but it is an inconvenience not a major factor and really not audible on the high bands. The qth overall was worth the inconvenient noise, primarily on 80 and 160.

You might want to consider doing what I did. Make a dipole and tune the bands carefully with your radio ONSITE and see what you think. This will either put your mind at ease or you will realize that it is not a good idea to buy the house. Either way you you won't have to guess anymore.

GL & 73

Bob, KQ2M