Re: [TowerTalk] High-Tension Wires

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] High-Tension Wires
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 07:20:27 -0700
I visited many prospective QTH's in eastside Seattle with a radio/SA and whip antenna to check for QRM. Perhaps the most significant learning was that neighborhoods with buried power, including the ~13kv, were a few to almost 10db quieter than older pole systems neighborhoods. How much of that noise is from distribution problems vs created (conducted then radiated) by residences with noisy SMPS is an interesting question. The proximity to 250 to 325kv grid wasn't as significant, unless in the immediate (<300ft) near field of the towers.

My QTH has a 325kv line 900ft WNW from my towers and there is little extra noise from it (also the easy Asia path for me). Fortunately all the new development to my N to E (EU/AF path) has all been underground utilities. I still hear better than talking. Amazing how often with 5 over 5 on 20m aimed at EU stations heard on FT8 at -10 can't hear me at QRO power. QRM and QRN at their end I guess.

I've also noticed that some distant SW noise sources (>1 mile) are sensitive to weather. More so in the transitions wet > dry and vice versa. Something to consider when testing for noise. The nearby grid HV line goes thru a big swamp in that direction and I suspect that maintenance on that section is not very good as I have never seen helicopters working on it.

Some friends and I measured noise at a rural 20acre/parcel development in the Cascades foothills with all underground power and it was about 6db quieter than my QTH even with a number of n*100kv lines about a mile away. It would have been a great remote site, particularly on 160m.

At 0.6 mile away from my QTH, a pig pole had its grounding wire stolen and the stub was radiating nicely on 40m. PSE was prompt in replacing it when I filed a complaint about it as a shock hazard.

Grant KZ1W
Redmond, WA