Re: [TowerTalk] FW: High-Tension Wires

To: TowerTalk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: High-Tension Wires
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 09:39:32 -0400
Further to the original subject - someone commented about the likelihood of lightning striking one of the HV towers.  A couple of months ago I had a near hit, as measured by the lack of any delay between the flash and the boom.  Couldn't see any physical signs of a hit on my tower, but it cost me a rotator, an antenna switch, the shack computer, an SDR being used as a panadaptor on my K3, and finally, the USB port on my KPA-1500.  I suppose it's possible that this was the result of a lightning hit on one of the towers on the 500 KV line, but I'll never know.  Would it have hit my tower (or did it)?  The antenna is below the tops of surrounding trees?  I guess I'll never know.

73, Pete N4ZR
web server at <https://reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.