Re: [Amps] Pole pigs removed from oil ??

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Pole pigs removed from oil ??
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 04:56:32 -0400
Back in the '90s I used two in parallel for my EME amplifier. It wasn't that I was running great power (1500W out) but they were 13.2 kV pigs that I removed a bunch of wire from to get them down to where I had 4 kV DC. The HV winding was fairly small wire and so I had too much voltage drop under load with one. I removed those from oil myself. They took a while to stop dripping but always smelled kinda bad. Never had a problem with them.

About 17 years ago I acquired a pole pig that had long since been removed from oil. No dripping, looked very dry, no smell. This was something around a 3-4 kV pig I think. A small amount of the HV winding had been removed but not much. I get about 4 kV DC and have been using this with multiple 1.5 kW out RF decks for 17 years. No problems yet.

Paul N1BUG