Re: [Amps] Pole pigs removed from oil ??

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Pole pigs removed from oil ??
From: Roger Halstead <k8ri@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 00:17:42 -0500

I avoid saying exactly, but IIRC PCBs have a pungent odor and are different than "oil", BUT "IF" it originally had PCB oil in it that was replaced with regular oil, then, depending on how well the PCB oil was flushed out, there could be some contamination. IF it was pulled from service the "odds" are that it will still have what ever oil it had originally.  The manufacturing date is a good clue which I saw posted

One company I worked for had some many ton, oil cooled transformers that we flushed out the old oil and refilled with non-PCB oil.  IIRC that was a time consuming and expensive process (both time and material)