Re: [Amps] Pole pigs removed from oil ??

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Pole pigs removed from oil ??
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 22:58:41 -0500
  On 11/05/2017 10:06 PM, Roger (K8RI) wrote:

If it smells like oil, it is oil!  If it doesn't, then it's probably PCB, except for some of the really new stuff and you are unlikely to run across any of that in retired pole pigs. It has been a very long time, but IIRC it either has a garlic like or chemical smell.  What ever, One good whiff...OK cautious sniff and if it smells like oil you can recycle it, or keep it for dummy loads.  Nearly every club has a ham or two, or more that needs oil for their dummy load
  Another test is; pure PCB does not float on water, mineral oil does.
A drop is all that it takes to test it.

  If it sinks like a perl it is PCB, if it floats we are not positive.

Mineral oil is what we put in our car's engines except motor oil is
highly modified with additives, mineral oil has no additives.

  Usually PCB was used in the pure state as mixing it with mineral oil
will make it flammable again.  But there are goof balls everywhere.

  Good mineral oil is sold cheaply at farm supply stores by the gallon,
it is used to treat "Equine colic."
--
  Ron  KA4INM - Youvan's corollary:
                Every action results in unwanted side effects.