Re: [CQ-Contest] Ohio is now West Coast - rebuttal

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Ohio is now West Coast - rebuttal
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 12:56:25 -0500
Arguing the "West Coast" is not NM is no different than calling W1 just W1.

W1 and W2 are equally as capable in the DX contests to win, it depends on
where you are in W1 or W2.  And the area is not homogenous in capability.
W1WMU, K8PO, K1DG, K1ZM, and W1KM are all within the Fresnel zone of salt
water or salt march to EU.  There are equally great areas in W2 and all the
way down to K3ZM's location that define as much a universe within W1, W2, W3
as NM vs CA.

As a W1 that is 50 miles from the Canadian border and literally 350 miles in
the EU direction from salt water, I can tell you that W1 is NOT all the
same.

Don't get me wrong, its better to EU than W6/7, but I drool listening to the
saltwater stations run loud and early just like you do listening to W1 in
general.  There are time when it matters BIG and times when it doesn't
matter as much.

K3LR's more northern path to EU vs W3LPL was "just enough" with disturbed
conditions that I witnessed much further north than them to change the game
on K3LR.

Broad brushing conclusions is not a wise idea.

73

Ed  N1UR