Re: [CQ-Contest] SO(Team) and SO(A)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO(Team) and SO(A)
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 01:36:42 -0500 (EST)
Hi Jack,

There were many more phases of spotting network development
than you're aware of.

It began with voice networks in the 1960s (maybe before). Soon
adjacent clubs discovered that they could listen to each other's
voice spotting networks, especially those voice spotting
networks that started to use higher power and well sited repeaters
during the 1970s and 1980s...

The next revolutionary step was AK1A's Packet Cluster software
in 1985, initially operated as individual packet nodes, then soon
"clustered" together via relatively short distance RF packet
backbones. Some of the RF links started to be operated at higher
data rates.

Those of us who had contacts in the telecommunications industry
were able to "borrow" unused bandwidth to link more distant
Packetcluster nodes.

Soon those of us who had access to the internet primarily through
universities started to use it to interconnect distant nodes, before
long it started to interconnect to nodes in Europe and Asia. This
much broader DX cluster interconnectivity placed severe loads
on the typical 1200 packet RF backbones and user connections.

When the public internet began to be widely available in the early
to mid 1990s, end users started to connect to PacketCluster nodes
via the internet. Direct user connections via the internet caused the
bandwidth requirements to explode again and the RF backbones and
user connections started to fade away. VE7CC and the DX Summit
soon appeared providing direct internet access to hundreds of users.
Very few RF user links are in use today and essentially all of the
RF packet backbones are gone.

The next revolution was VE3NEA's CW Skimmer. Before long
N4ZR and his team developed the Reverse Beacon Network
of interconnected CW and RTTY Skimmers. The bandwidth
requirements exploded again (and again, and again) which lead to
the development of much faster "DX Cluster" software such as
AR-Cluster Version 5 and many major reliability and storage
upgrades to the Reverse Beacon network servers.

I'm sure we've not come to the end of this 30+ year development
of DX spotting technology.

73
Frank
W3LPL