[TenTec] Argo Speech Processor Question (was Argo V distortion)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argo Speech Processor Question (was Argo V distortion)
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Sun Aug 10 22:07:05 2003
Looks good, Reed - think you got it set just right.

Grounds are most confusing to a lot of guys because there are three of them
to be considered: a-c safety ground; "r-f  station ground;" and lightning
ground.

The problem is that grounding is like pregnancy - most guys do just a bit of
it and feel comfortable when in reality it takes a major effort to achieve
anything close to an effective r-f ground, if indeed one can be achieved at
all in a given location. An 8-ft copper rod into the ground just isn't a
low-impedance connection to "earth" and the means used to connect it to the
station just increases the impedance unless a tuning arrangement is used.

Usually most shack r-f comes from having the equipment in the near field of
the antenna system. Best result there is to use a driven ground: a 1/4 wave
wire with one end insulated and the other end connected to the station
"ground" point, usually the tuner chassis. Being in the near field induces a
current in the wire which, since the open end is floating, drives the
station-=ground end to near zero r-f potential. This is usually far more
effective than any effort at an ohmic "connection" to "earth."

If your shack is to code, the a-c safety ground will be taken care of. If
you use antennas that do not include the station tuner and transmitter as
part of the antenna system - end-fed longwires, for example - then
everything in the station will assume the same r-f potential (zero or
otherwise) and little trouble results IF care is taken to prevent
common-mode current from entering the shack via the feedlines. Lightning
ground is a whole other world - that one is for the experts. But I have
never in 58 years used any kind of ground system - r-f or lightning - and
never have had any problems. I keep things disconnected during storms and
that opens the majority of the paths that a discharge could take to get to
the equipment. I use antenna systems that do not include the equipment as
part of the system and keep the feedlines clean. Seems to work.

This is a very controversial topic which I have given up debating in public
so my remarks are intended for your eyes only!   <:}

Hope you can pin down the 17 and 20 meter situation. Bound to be a reason
there somewhere!

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13QE
"In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!"
<mailto:w5yr@att.net>