Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Survey, open source

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Survey, open source
From: ron <roncasa@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:11:58 -0400
Perry W. Remaklus wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I agree. Get it thought our before you begin to write code. Most of the
> time and work will be in the thinking stage.
>
> Perry W1COW
>

> What I would like to see is an open process for writing a detailed
> description of all the various ways a radio might be used as the basis
> for a concept of operation ("operation" in terms of the user, not the
> system), and then a set of explicitly traceable functional
> requirements for software. This is where openly involving volunteers
> is most helpful and positive. Then, if one of those desired activities
> cannot be accommodated in the design, at least we know it's a real
> limitation and not an accident. It would also help Ten Tec avoid
> spending too much accommodating activities around which the user
> community has no concensus.
>
> Rick, KR9D

I think we are missing the boat.

There are those who want to write the code and share with anyone who
also wants to improve it, and there are those (like Perry maybe) who
only needs to download the open source application and use it. There are
versions fully tested and there are versions in beta (testing).

Look at N1MM application for example.

Ron