Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Transceiver Survey

To: tentec-list <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Transceiver Survey
From: Martin Ewing AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:00:25 -0400
Put me down as one Orion owner who would pay a reasonable amount for a
maintenance contract that would cover hardware repairs and/or firmware
updates.

As someone involved in software development, I may have a different
slant on how software projects work.  Software will never be "finished",
and it always has bugs.  There is always room for improvement. I want
somebody working on polishing and perfecting the firmware for a good
long time!  As soon as you stop support, bit rot sets in.  (Put another
way, your resale value drops.)

The ideal approach, as shown by Flex Radio and some others is to work
with the user community for  software development and support.  I
clicked the "open source" box on the Survey, and I hope many others will
do so as well.  There is often more energy and talent in the user
community for volunteer software work than there is in a small company
that has to meet a payroll.

73 Martin AA6E

--
Martin Ewing, AA6E