Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Transceiver Survey

To: Ten-Tec Reflector <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Transceiver Survey
From: Rick Williams <ve7asr@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:47:00 -0700 (PDT)
Fair question Bernie.  Yes I am using an Orion (565).
I have the luxury to be able to operate BOTH Version 2
and Version 1 firmware.

Version 2 has the benefit of a sharper display and a
functioning sweep (without lockup).

On the other had Version 1 has (in my opinion) a
superior set of noise reduction algorithms and a notch
system that operates in a different portion of the
AGC.  (In Version 2 if you are listening to an S-2
signal and an S-9 carrier is dropped on it the notch
removes the carrier.  The meter still shows S-9 and
the AGC can pump accordingly.  In Version 1 the
S-meter drops to S-2 and the AGC behaves.  The notch
and auto-notch in most 'high-end' rigs behave like
Version 1.)

These 2 functions, again in my opinion, make the
version 1 firmware a better choice for my operating
style.

It is my understanding that when using Version 2
firmware the Orion 565 and 566 are very similar.

73,
Rick
VE7TK

Date:   Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:49:55 EDT

Rick,

Please believe that I am truly not trying to be
argumentative here.

But I truly wonder what you mean.  What "full
potential" is the  Orion II not
reaching?  Are there some specific performance
parameters that  you know
could somehow be better improved with firmware
changes?

I operate about half CW and half SSB (with a
smattering of digital modes
thrown in).  And aside from a too-generous s-meter, I
don't know what I  need
help my Orion II somehow achieve more of its
"potential."

Am I missing something here?

(And now that I've written all this, I realize you may
be talking about the
Orion (as opposed to the Orion II that I have...).  If
so, my apologies,
because I know nothing about how an Orion performs.)

Thanks and 73,
Bernie K5XS