Re: [TenTec] Question....way out there.....

To: <k4avx1@windstream.net>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Question....way out there.....
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 23:24:36 +0100
John,

I can tell you what you have to do but it will take a mod to the 405.
As you know, the 405 waits on RF, detects it and switches the TX.
This is OK on SSB but on CW it chops off much of the first dit.

When I used my 405 with my 505 and 509 back in the 70s, I tapped into the
"T" line of the transceiver and fed this voltage out to the 405.  In the 405
I used it to key an open collector switch which closed the T/R relay.  This
helped significantly.

With the Argo 6 it is simpler.
You can use the signal on pin 8 of the Accessory socket, ACC1.
It's called AMP KEY.
It keys to ground almost immediately when the first dit is keyed and about
15mS BEFORE RF is actually transmitted.

Inside the 405, disable the CAR circuitry(carrier-activated-relay), connect
one side of the relay to 13v and the minus side to the relay keying jack on
the back panel of the 405.  Thus, as soon as a dit is keyed, the 405's TR is
keyed to ground and its switching time is in the neighborhood of 15 mS.
This is a good fit.

You also need hang delay, but this is already a built in feature of the 405
and is a front panel adjustment.

THIS WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

You said you understand not to overdrive it, so I won't go there.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)