[WriteLog] Erratic Cw

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Erratic Cw
From: ron.stordahl@digikey.com (Ron Stordahl)
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 14:34:19 -0500
The problem can only be solved by using an external keyer, such as the W5XD
MultiKeyer that doesn't get interrupted to do disc i/o etc.  I have one and
it generates perfect CW.  Even switching back to DOS is not a complete
solution, what I observed using old DOS CT was that when the hourly save to
floppy operation ran, my CW generation went bad.

While it may be true that the faster the processor the less the CW
generation will be messed up, I noticed the problem even with my 1 GHz
Pentium III.

With an external keyer, the data is send in ASCII to the keyer at over 100
times the CW speed and the keyer just loafs along while it sends perfect
code.

This erratic CW issue comes up time and time again in all the logging
programs reflectors...everyone who tries to generate the code directly using
the parallel or serial ports has the same trouble.

Ron N5IN