Re: [Amps] LDMOS Solid State Amplifiers

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] LDMOS Solid State Amplifiers
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 14:35:46 -0400
On 5/5/2012 11:30 AM, Tom Thompson wrote:
> Bob,
>
> Vdd was fed in at the U point on the brass tube, single turn, point.  If
> I switch back to that transformer, I'll try the bifilar choke feed and
> report.  I did some IMD measurements this morning.  I fed the amp with
> two Norcal 40 QRP transceivers on 40 m.

If I have followed this correctly:
As this is a single, PP amp fed with two independent exciters how do you
maintain proper phasing which is critical? Even if the exciters are
synchronized a tiny difference in path length can make a difference.

73

Roger (K8RI)

>    The input IMD due to the
> combiner isolation was -44 dBt where dBt means below one of the two tone
> peaks instead of the carrier which if present would be 6 dB higher.  The
> contribution from the input IMD is given by B = 20Log(1+10^(-A/20))
> where A is difference in dB between the input IMD and the output IMD.  I
> measured an output IMD3 of -32 dBt at 100 watts on the amp under test.
> That makes A = 12dB therefore B = 2dB which makes IMD3 = -34dBt.  IMD5
> was -60dBt and IMD7 was -52dBt.
>
> 73   Tom   W0IVJ
>
> On 5/4/2012 11:59 PM, Bob Henderson wrote:
>> Tom
>>
>> Interesting.  Thanks.
>>
>> With your brass tube transformer, how was Vdd fed to the drains?
>>
>> The 10db reduction in H3&   H5 is a significant improvement but I am
>> wondering how much is due to the bifilar choke feed of Vdd and how much due
>> to transition to a TLT?  It would have been interesting to see what change
>> resulted from adding the bifilar choke feed to your brass tube transformer
>> set up.
>>
>> H3&   H5 at -22dBc or better is easily good enough.  After that, it's all
>> about IMD performance.
>>
>> 73 Bob, 5B4AGN
>>
>> On 4 May 2012 23:43, Tom Thompson<tlthompson@qwest.net>   wrote:
>>
>>> Bob,
>>>
>>> I am experimenting with the 300 W Freescale part.  Using the brass tube
>>> output transformer with a single turn on the primary and 2 turns on the
>>> secondary without a harmonic filter I measured the following:
>>> Vdd = 50 V
>>> Id = 10.5 A
>>> Po = 200 W
>>> 3H = -11.8 dBc
>>> 5H = -20.5 dBc
>>> I then followed Manfred's suggestions and used a 4:1 transmission line
>>> transformer wound with 30 ohm coax, a bifilar wound power combiner to
>>> supply drain voltage, and a choke balun on the output of the transmission
>>> line transformer.  I then measured the following with no harmonic filter:
>>> Vdd = 50 V
>>> Id = 7.5 A
>>> Po = 200 W
>>> 3H = -22dBc