Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Rules Changes

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Rules Changes
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 09:40:09 -0600
Apparently it doesn't stop anything. It may be a deterrent for some but honestly a guy that is working 200 contacts probably is not doing it for a score. We beg people for logs and then they send them in and they get a negative score. Do you think that guy will send in a log again? I don't. Do you really believe that everyone knows the rules as well as those that subscribe to this reflector? I don't. Lots of people want to jump in and join the fun, not be burdened with a pile of rules that ultimately could discourage participation.

Do speed limit signs stop people from speeding? Do laws against stealing stop thieves? No. Most people don't go out of their way to bust a contact do they? Aren't the rules really for the top 1 or 2 percenters?

We have already proven that the vast majority of participants operate less than 24 hours. Do these people really care or even think about a 2 or 3 point penalty for a blown exchange? NO.

The top ops must strive for accuracy as it could mean the difference of 1st and 2nd. We act like 99 percent of the logs submitted are serious efforts when the truth of the matter is that it is almost the exact opposite.

The basis not to do anything to contest because of old records is a terrible excuse not to do what is right. Records are made to be broken. I wonder how many record holders actually know they hold a record.

Mike W0MU