Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Committee Restructured

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Committee Restructured
From: Ward Silver <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 11:52:46 -0500
> As for CQWW, those of us here in Asia who have a perennial propagation
> disadvantage have no chance of winning any of the big boy categories. Yet > if you look at score submissions of the last few years, you will observe an > upward trend. This is largely because ops are getting on air for fun, not > for winning. The serious efforts are largely focused on doing well in Asia
> standings than World standings. All this with the current rules.

And there we have most of a very workable solution - compete regionally, report regionally, recognize regionally. Thanks, Prasad.

Trying to come up with some kind of a complex numeric way of equalizing out propagation and geography is simply not workable. There are too many dependencies over which a point system has no control. Nor can it respond to day-to-day propagation variations.

The CQ WW committee already has its hands overly-full dealing with the worldwide data set - and they do a great job with that!

My advice for those who care is to create regional competitions and reporting so that the best efforts from a particular region can be appropriately recognized and encouraged. The scoring data and even the logs are public - there is no reason this can't be done. How about the California Cup? The East Asia Challenge? The Black Hole Bouquet? Regional reporting allows stations to compete against peers - which causes most of the perceived unhappiness.

73, Ward N0AX