Re: [RTTY] Good Observations in RTTY RU

To: "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>, "Steve **KT0DX**" <kt0dx@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Good Observations in RTTY RU
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <K6LL@ARRL.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 03:51:36 -0000
From: "Steve **KT0DX**" <kt0dx@comcast.net>
To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 1:01 AM
Subject: [RTTY] Good Observations in RTTY RU
>I saw two things that I am going to try next year.
> The first one is to send out a space or two before I allow
> my radio to
> the space has
> at the end of the micro.  I started to notice that some
> stations that
> called me I could copy the call sign two times with no
> problem as the
> garbage characters were spaced away from the last letter
> of the call.
> On others the trash was right next to the last letter in
> the call and I
> would get something like KH6JM KH6JMGdEdl.  Now which call
> was correct
> the KH6JM or the KH6JMG.  If both are in the master call
> data base they
> are going to both show up as good.  Nothing to do but as
> for a repeat of
> the call and lost time.  I changed my micro during the
> contest and I did
> not have any request for a repeat of my call.  I hope I am
> correct about
> this space deal if not I am sure someone is going to let
> me know.

Absolutely correct! In fact, Writelog requires TWO spaces
after a callsign to correctly identify and highlight it.
Since there are so many people using Writelog for RTTY, I
would put TWO spaces after my callsign, such as when dumping
in my callsign on S&P. For the CQ message or the THANK YOU
QRZ message, I always put a CQ at the end to cover the
spaces for Writelog. Wayne is supposed to be looking at this
issue. Of course, NEVER put a LINEFEED at the end of ANY
transmission.

> The other thing I took notice of were the stations that
> were sending the
> other stations call at the front of the report and their
> call at the
> end.

I don't think this is a good idea for loud stations
expecting a pileup. Under pileup conditions, frequently the
front end of a transmission is obscured by long-winded
callers. Consequently, everyone is wondering "who did he
come back to?" If you put "HISCALL" at the front AND the
end, there will be no ambiguity. On the other hand, as you
point out, casual listeners will wonder who owns the
frequency, and newbies may start calling the wrong station
after the qso is over.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ