Re: Topband: Coupla things

To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Coupla things
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 09:58:40 -0500
Hi Tom,

I agree 100% with the idea of of somehow having a central repository of click
ailments & cures: that would offer a struggling newbie to the ailment a quick &
ready source of ideas & possible contacts as to a cure(s)...

I have ascertained that my case here had to do directly with the plate current
meter that I was employing in my 2x813 amplifier: it was reading FAR too low,
with the consequence that I was using more drive than necessary on the linear
to achieve "textbook specs". I believe the situation is now well in hand,
however, and I am greatly appreciative for the patience & assistance extended
to me in this regard by way of Bill (VE3CSK): would that EVERY sufferer of
clicks whom we might encounter on the air be so fortunate...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

> I don't have much of an opinion on it one way or another, except I'm sure
> most people appreciate direct contact more than public (any chat room,
> cluster, or reflector is public) contact if possible. The exceptions being
> something that just can't wait, or no way to contact someone directly.
>
> It would be interesting to keep a list of problems and cures. It isn't
> correct that it is always the radio, always the amplifier, or even that it is
> always either the radio or amplifier. Sometimes it is the antenna, or things
> around the antenna.
>
> When we had terrible old receiving equipment with horrible dynamic range and
> poor skirts, and even the perceived best gear like Collins fell into that
> class years ago, we couldn't all bunch up 250 Hz from someone else. Things
> problems now were not problems when our receivers forced us to be a kilocycle
> or more away from strong signals, and when receiving and transmitting antenna
> technology wasn't nearly so good.
>
> We have a new level of problems now.

Topband Reflector