[WriteLog] Save problems

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Save problems
From: w1nr@eecorp.com (Mike McCarthy, W1NR)
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:44:25 -0500
Hi Clive,
   What I would do...

        1. Buy more RAM.  Be sure to check what the maximum size and total is
for the motherboard you are using.
        2. Larger, faster hard drive.  One that spins at 7200RPM.  A new faster
disk controller (even a caching type) will greatly improve disk
response.
        3. Defrag the disk before the contest.
        4. Be sure there is nothing running in the background.  If you have a
network, be sure it has some kind of connection or shut it down by
removing the driver.  An Ethernet controller with no connection that is
active will drag a system to it's knees.
        5. Don't use autosave.  Let WriteLog remind you and do a <CTRL-S> to
manually save when you think you have some time...

   What are you running for an OS?  Win95 is slowest.  An upgrade to
Win98SE or WinME will improve performance, but not as much as more RAM.
Something to consider if you buy a new disk drive.

GL and 73 de Mike, W1NR