[CQ-Contest] WPX debate

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX debate
From: lew@teleport.com (lew@teleport.com)
Date: Tue Apr 14 17:53:09 1998
Well,
   Looks like ZD8Z has spoken again. Looks like people read the posts, but
still don't get it.  My single point to all of this is: We need a
world-wide contest (not contests!) where U.S. Hams can compete against
each other in a fair fight. The CQ-WPX could be this test.
   If I were like ZD8Z,KQ2M,K3ZO or NH7A then of course I'd want a 96 hour
contest where I could extend my advantage to the max. What a kick! What
short sightedness! What a way to kill off contesting! Then only serious
ops would travel to advantageous sites to play. Look at the long run here.
There are plenty of tests to assert various degrees of proficiency or
ability to "cut the mustard" as Jim so aptly put it last go around.
   We need the big league operators in contesting like the above mentioned
ops. But we need much more a contest where average Joe Schmuck feels that
he has a fighting chance to play in. This will keep contesting alive with
interest high.
    1 contest, gentlemen...thats what I'm talking about.
    Not talking about CQ-WW or ARRL-Dx or looking for a wimp way to win.
    I am talking about fanning the fires of contesting with a fair contest
that average Joe Ham can try out and get hooked on contesting. Without
that kind of fodder, the big boys and girls will not have the Q's in the
future for their tests.
    Trey doesn't need the apology, Jim. He is looking ahead at the future
of the sport of contesting. You and the rest of the East coast serious
players need to do the same. Keep it the same old way and watch it die out
as we do.
    73 and I remain,
      Lew      ex-n7avk

         Lew  Sayre   W7EW                lew@teleport.com
         P.O.Box  3110                    Fax 503-391-2258
         Salem, Oregon 97302              160M thru 1296MHz