Re: [CQ-Contest] Dayton and the forum issues

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dayton and the forum issues
From: "Kevin J. Rowett" <krowett@rowett.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 15:36:53 -0700
>What kind of national trade show (and that's what Dayton is, a full
>blown national trade show for amateur radio) blows the organization of
>the event to the point where forums of strong interest to the community
>involved have to be moved to an off-site hotel ballroom to accomodate
>the necessary crowd?  That's absolutely pathetic.

The location of a national convention is seldom driven by those
attending - it's almost exclusively driven by two things:

1) The politics of the organizers
2) The best deal that can be had within the realm of #1.

I can provide several examples:

Interop - now N+I.  It was Santa Clara, then San Jose,
then San Franscisco, now permanently in Las Vegas.  It
moved to those locations because that's the best deal
the owner of Interop could get.

NAB show is in Vegas for the same reason.

COMDEX - now defunct, was there for the same reason.

CES...

International DX Convention in Visalia - totally politics!

The best way to fix the Dayton location is to change or
influence the politics of the organizers. Well, another
alternative is to organize a better one.

Is there support in the contesting community for it's own show?
(AKA, if all us contestors boycott Dayton and Visalia, and tell
the vendors we are doing such, can we get support for our own
show?). :-) - 1/2.

Overflow is extremely common in trade-shows.

73, de -KR- N6RCE
n6rce@arrl.net
CU in the 40th running of the Calif QSO Party - Oct 1-2