Re: [CQ-Contest] Top Ten scores & 3830 postings?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Top Ten scores & 3830 postings?
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 07:52:29 -0500
Tom said:

> To not post one's score should not diminish a competitor's
> accomplishment, however, it is a dis-service to rest of the
> competitors and reflects poorly on the individual

Interesting discussion.  Personally I prefer more rules than less,
competitor-wide expectations should ideally be clear in writing so you know
what you were getting in to before jumping in.  Alas contesting is not that
way, and I am certain it never will be.  That said, adjust your approach and
do what you know full well is expected:

Send in your score to 3830.  Do it as fast as you can.  Understand that the
longer you wait, the more you will raise eyebrows about your own personal
integrity.  That's just the way it is whether you think it's right or not.

I would temper these comments with "if you're a contender."  If you're not a
contender, it's less important.  Like Bob said, turn your log to the sponsor
whether you made 2 or 2000 QSOs.  If you made 2 QSOs (i.e. not a
particularly competitive entry, you got on part-time for fun to work your
friends, etc) you get a pass on the 3830 part.  If you entered seriously,
and are going to wind up in the top-10, be prepared for a royal, and
DESERVED razzing if you don't submit to 3830 quickly.

Mark, N5OT