Re: [CQ-Contest] Top Ten scores & 3830 postings?

To: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Top Ten scores & 3830 postings?
From: "Milt, N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 08:55:45 -0700
Mark so eloquently stated:

> If you entered seriously,
> and are going to wind up in the top-10, be prepared for a royal, and
> DESERVED razzing if you don't submit to 3830 quickly.
>
> Mark, N5OT
My first question is; what is "quickly"?

The term is subjective, and means something different to everyone based on
their life's situations.

For example, I doubt I have ever submitted reports to 3830 "quickly".  I
personally define for myself "quickly" to mean 24 hours or less.

Rarely, if ever, do I have the opportunity to make a coherent write-up
within the first 24 hours.  I like to do that and personally think it is as
much of the 3830 report as the raw score.  I really like to read the other
write-ups.

At the end of a contest, it is off to do some family activity.  It is off to
church or other social requirement the wife wants to be involved in.  It is
off to bed so that I can give 100% to my employer a few hours later.  Etc.,
etc., ETC!!!!!!!  There are other extenuating circumstances for those who
travel to other locations to operate, whether it is domestic or
out-of-country.

Contesting is NOT the number one thing in my life.  However, I am the
competitive type and do find my self finishing somewhere near the top at
times in my selected operating region and class.

BUT, to imply that I, or anyone else, should be subjected to "royal, and
DESERVED razzing" for operating well and scoring highly, IMHO is NOT in the
spirit of contesting or amateur radio.  NO ONE else knows my personal life's
situation!!!!!!!

After I have had time to take care of the other higher priority life's
requirements; after I have had a bit of time to decompress and rationally
review all the "statistics" of my contest period; after I have had time to
think about how to put all those statistics in the form of a story line for
my operation; and after I have traveled to home if I have been out-of-state
or out-of-country, THEN I will site down at the computer and compose a
report to 3830.  And, it will include my claimed score!!!!!

Through the years I have received MANY comments about my 3830 write-ups;
those comments from individuals who said they enjoyed reading my reports for
the perspective on the contest from my part of the world.

I have NEVER received any comments from anyone saying I am a lazy @?#@()!*&
for not posting "quickly", and surely I was taking all that time to just
read other's reports and make changes to MY log, entry class and report.

And I sincerely hope that is NOT where this is going; that a few who think
the rest of the world is like they are don't start the "tail wagging the
dog" routine.

Mis dos centavos, with malice towards no one!!!!!!!

Milt, N5IA