Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheerleading

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheerleading
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 08:12:38 -0500
I think that N6WIN's stats are correct, as far as they go, but Barry
also makes a good point.  Certainly, the "user experience" on SS Sundays
(and for big multi-ops, in all the major contests) needs improvement.
There are some tools already out there.  AR Cluster 6 beta, for example,
has a clever filter called UNIQUES>[number] which will only pass a call
if it has been heard by at least number+1 Skimmers.  Normally, that
filter is placed outside any filtering of spots by place of origin, but
it could just as well be placed behind the origin filter.  That would
then require that at least 3 of the 7 Skimmers in my area hear the spot
the same way.

Right now, the ARC6 filter's window is 10 minutes - that is, any spot
heard in that period is compared to all others.  There's a fairly high
risk that over 10 minutes, a given callsign might be busted in the same
way by multiple Skimmers, and sneak through.  If the window were reduced
to say, 15 seconds, that would go a long way toward reducing the number
of busts that make it through.  We may look at implementing something
like that on the RBN server, but there may be even better ideas out
there.  Anyone?

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000 AND now
at arcluster.reversebeacon.net port 7000