Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WPX rules, it finally happened

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WPX rules, it finally happened
From: Ward Silver <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 12:30:59 -0600
Thank you to K0RC and W9WI for getting it right. Contesting - and amateur radio generally - exists to make contacts and exchange between stations. Cooperation is required - it is not optional. Not sending one's call sign frequently defeats the cooperation and consumes the limited contest time of other stations listening without providing any benefit to them. That pretty much defines poor sportsmanship in my book.

I don't care how incredibly self-important the running station thinks they must be that we all have to "wait or go away," it violates the implicit bargain between stations to cooperate as effectively as possible so that both maximize their score.

At PJ4Q this past CQ WW CW we gave our call sign after EVERY SINGLE QSO and placed in the world M2 Top Ten with a handful of small beams and verticals so it didn't hurt us one bit. Every time we sent the call it acted like a short CQ and kept the pileups in sync. No other station had to throw away their contest minutes to wait for our call sign and our dupe rate was correspondingly low in return - that's called cooperation.

73, Ward N0AX