Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW High Rates

To: "'cq-contest@contesting.com (cq-contest@contesting.com)'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW High Rates
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 18:50:50 +0000
When it comes to such an awesome display of skill, given the nature of
demographics, geography, and propagation, I don't see how you can get to a
level playing field when it comes to a rate-fest contest.

Yes, there are almost certainly ways to structure scoring rules such that the
scoring is made more level and perhaps the potential for competitiveness would
bring more operators into the mix, but I'm not certain such changes could
overcome the fact that there are a LOT of operators in eastern North America
and Europe, and there are a few places in the world where they all can hear you
and they all really want to work you.

Maybe, if the contest were moved to be some kind of a Hamsphere meets
Morserunner event... but personally, I think the lack of station-building and
RF involved would kill the magic of such an event for me.   I might make an
exception if I could have a Caribbean DXCC entity all to myself in that event.

A real-world, level-playing field event (aside from a limited-entrant event
such as WRTC) isn't going to be a rate fest.  It's going to have more of a Stew
Perry kind of feel.  And while that is fun....I don't think we'd be filling
reflectors with traffic about jaw-dropping displays of high-rate SO2R videos
recorded during such a contest.

--
Michael Adams | N1EN | mda@n1en.org