Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Power Level

To: k9yc@arrl.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Power Level
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 07:17:37 -0600 (CST)
 Jim,

While I am not unsympathetic ( since I'm running 100 W to verticals )...

So what can you do about it?  I mean, really.

Some of these guys genuinely don't care how their running QRO impacts others...
might makes right, after all, and their attitude is 'if you don't like it,
power up your own amp and push us off the frequency.'  (I wonder sometimes if
people with this attitude used to be school yard bullies in grade school)

Others, as has been noted, are operating in the contest for their own reasons
-- state hunting (WAS), county hunting, whatever.  They do not seem to
understand how their operating is affecting everyone else.

Still others just want to hand out a few Q's and have a little fun (anyone who
worked me in the little time I had available on Saturday were the beneficiaries
of this ).  They may not or choose not to see the harm (or even realize that
they may be causing harm) that they might be doing with their amps on.

And there are more possibilities.

Most importantly, though, many of those (regardless of reasons why) who are
running QRO in a low power contest do not read this reflector and may not be
aware of it (or care).

So how do you reach them?

And... if these are people who for whatever reason choose not to submit a
competitive log, what can you do about it?

Like I said, I'm not unsympathetic.  Sometimes, we simply have to accept that
there are things beyond our control; I think this is one of them.

73, ron w3wn

On 01/10/16, Jim Brown wrote:

On Sun,1/10/2016 1:23 PM, Radio K0HB wrote:
> If a guy is not competing for a prise, why do we care what (legal) power
> level they use?

Here's a simple example of why we care from last night on 80M. In S&P
mode, I was calling a station who had a considerably better signal than
many from the east coast I had worked, but I wasted a lot of time trying
to get his multiplier.

Another example -- I'm running S&P and calling another station I need as
a mult and a high power station wins the jump ball. He's 12 dB louder by
virtue of his power amp, not his antennas or distance.

73, Jim K9YC