Re: [CQ-Contest] RST?

To: K9Yc <k9yc@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RST?
From: K4Sbz Stan <k4sbz.stan@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 16:16:39 +0000

 Jim,

I send TU 5 because, as many have said, just sending a series of 5 dits can be
confusing. TU is short and results in fewer repeats.

Leaving out a “starter” can be fine for a leading op with a clear band. Add in
normal band conditions in the middle of a big contest and a 100 watt S&P op has
real challenges. I know that many top ops don’t give a dxxx about the S&P op’s
worries, but these S&P ops provide the Qs that the big guns need.

It’s the big guns that a are asking for a repeat or maybe just a verification
of the zone. The S&P already has the exchange information by listening to the
previous QSO. Maybe on SSB I should just reply to a repeat request by saying,
“I already said that Weren’t you paying attention?” 😋

BTW I would spend more time at CW but at 80 I have “essential tremors.” Sending
zone 5 would often be a long, long series of dits.    I’ll stick with SSB and
RTYY.    (I have a barely-used Vibroplex paddle for sale).

73 es contest ebulliently.

Stan, K4SBZ