Re: [CQ-Contest] RST?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RST?
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 18:25:29 -0500
Sweepstakes is a good example of no RS / RST.  I also like a little warning
rather then unkeying and being immediately blasted with a serial number.  I
sometimes did have to ask for a repeat because I was not ready for the
number.  ON CW numbers sometimes also throw me off since I am expecting
numbers and not letters.   In Sweepstakes CW I sent NR before sending the
serial number.  I see no reason to send the person's callsign in the report
macro when answering a CQ since they probably already know their call.  On
phone SS I also like to hear something before receiving the number. One
short phrase was pretty common but I don't want to get into that discussion.

73
John KK9A (W4AAA in 2023 SS)

Vlad VE3TM wrote:

No need for such experiments. There are two SS contests with no  RS/RST
required. I for one have difficulties with this kind of exchange because I
simply don't know when it actually starts. Will the other station send my
call-sign, first? Or will it start with R, or TU, or the serial number will
come up at once? And every QSO is different in this respect.

A "sync" message helps a lot. Instead of RST just consider it slightly
differently: RSG,
for
Ready, Steady, Go! As a matter of fact it really is like this and it helps.

73,
Vlad VE3TM