Re: [CQ-Contest] RST?

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RST?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 13:22:12 -0800
On 11/21/2023 6:51 AM, Stan Zawrotny wrote:
So, several of us are in agreement that the RS(T) serves a starter
function, The contest could state that the exchange is "Alert CQ-Zone"
where QSL, RR, TU, 59(9) or even RSG could be the Alert or Sync phrase.
Anything other than "please copy."

I like TU. It's short and works for CW or SSB. The running station doesn't
need it because they will start the QSO with the S&P callsign.

CQ Test KK9A KK9A
K4SBZ
K4SBZ 4
TU 5
K4SBZ TU KK9A QRZ?

Too much un-necessary stuff here. Ops who post big scores don't waste that time. No need for K4SBZ to send TU -- if he didn't copy the exchange, he wouldn't send his exchange. No need for QRZ? And if there's no confusion about who's working who, no need for KK9A to send K4SBZ at the end. I'll send the other guy's call only if there is possible confusion.

I DO send the other station's call with TU for RTTY contests, where we don't have the aural cues of CW, like frequency and speed.Top RTTY contester W0YK doesn't use leaders, doesn't send other station's call with TU unless he thinks there might be confusion, and often sends the exchange only once.

I have three CQ keys programmed for run mode. F1 is TEST K9YC F8 is CQ TEST K9YC F9 is TEST K9YC K9YC If I get no callers after TU K9YC, I use TEST k9YC. If no response, CQ TEST K9YC If no response, the longer one.

I am of the strong opinion that if you need a "leader" to copy the exchange, you need to spend a lot more time with CW. I've never felt I needed it, and at 82, contesting is the only time I'm using it much. In any contest I enjoy, I'll spend at least 15 hours, longer for two-day contests.

73, Jim K9YC