RE: Satellites problems (was RE: [Karlnet] Three different AP1000 keep l

Subject: RE: Satellites problems (was RE: [Karlnet] Three different AP1000 keep loosing one card)
From: "Caleb Carroll" <karlnet@pathcom.ca>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:11:46 -0700
I'm not 100% sure about this because I didn't design the firmware but my guess
would be that when you set any Karlnet device to 1 or 2 Mbit/s you are locking
in the available modulation techniques that will be used.

1 & 2Mbit/s settings should both use DBPSK modulation.  Reciever sensitivity of
a Lucent/Orinoco/Agere card is around -94 dBm when using DBPSK.
Leaving the Base at 11 Mbit/s would allow the base to either use, or waste time
using, other modulation techniques: CCK for 11MBit/s and QPSK for 5.5 Mbit/s.

I think you will have to use 2Mbit/s in order to be able to provide 768Kbit/s,
considering the network overhead.