[RTTY] RTTY RU & CQ/RJ WPX SO1R LP Only?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RTTY RU & CQ/RJ WPX SO1R LP Only?
From: jlockj at earthlink.net (John)
Date: Sat Jan 25 16:31:51 2003
Without the majority getting organized and making their thoughts about SO2R
vs. SO1R known to contest sponsors (regularly), we'll continue to see this
periodic release of tension rather than getting the problem addressed.
(IMHO anything that causes this much friction in a hobby is a problem!)

Maybe, as is the case in auto racing, certain RTTY contests should limit
equipment to less than what is "legal" under federal law.  The NAQP contests
already do this with power level and everyone seems to hear each other OK.
I could see the RTTY Roundup and CQ WPX limiting both output power and the
number of radios to make both contests that hams with more typical stations
could be competitive in.  The CQ/RJ WW DX contest and others could continue
to be unlimited relative to number of rigs and (legal) power for a single
op.

The "just say no" approach to change, refusing compromise, won't change
peoples thoughts about SO2R.  It will only make the issue get more
contentious.  Having contest alternatives that people feel is fair for them
would help.  It would also address concerns by some that there are to many
"me too" contests having the same basic format.

I'm not offering the above because I want to win more certificates/plaques -
I have enough to keep me happy and the knot holes covered.  There are some
who believe only the allure of plaques, and not an issue of perceived
fairness, could be the motivation for those that believe SO2R should be
separate from SO1R.  I disagree.

73,

John  W0DC