Re: [RTTY] SO2R vs. SO1R - a pertinent question

To: "'Tom Moore'" <wx4tm@tm-moore.com>,"'RTTY'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] SO2R vs. SO1R - a pertinent question
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:50:09 -0400
WX4TM writes:

> but Joe, AA5AU and KI5XP and other top SO2R ops have specifically
> stated that SO2R was the significant advantage. How can you dispute
> them when you say they're the smartest, they know their capabilities
> and their equipment?

I'm not saying that SOxR isn't an advantage.  I'm saying that it is
not the overwhelming advantage you claim it is.  SOxR is no different
than and equivalent to an antenna upgrade .... e.g., it allows AA5AU
competes on a relatively equal basis with stations having much larger
antenna farms.

SoxR meets all the requirements for the "Single Operator" category -
one person is performing all the functions without assistance and
transmits only one signal at a time.

To be honest you have to treat SoxR and gain antennas the same way.
If you want a separate category for SOxR, you must be willing to
accept a separate category for gain antennas.  Otherwise you are
simply saying "you're different and I don't want you eating at my
restaurant."

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV