Re: [RTTY] SO2R vs. SO1R - a pertinent question

To: Tom Moore <wx4tm@tm-moore.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] SO2R vs. SO1R - a pertinent question
From: Barry <w2up@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:51:14 +0000
Tom,
Even without a second radio, scores can still be improved.  It just
takes some ingenuity and motivation.  As an example, prior to my SO2R
days, I used my FT-1000D in SO1.5R mode.  When CQing using VFO A, while
in rcve, I would tune VFO B looking for new stations and mults on the
same band.  In between CQs, when the timing was just right, I'd hit the
SPLIT button, drop my call in on the VFO B freq, and work the guy.
Then, go back to CQing on VFO A.  In essence, I was running on one freq.
and S&Ping on another, on the same band, all with one radio.  That was
probably good for an extra 10 QSOs/hour/

That's not fair to the guys with a one VFO radio, so I guess we need
another category for them, too.  Round and round we go...

Tom Moore wrote:
> No Barry, you're missing the point.. I'm not comparing those two to
> others. I'm comparing their intelligence and skills to apply and the
> difference in success, of SO2R vs SO1R.  When all else is equal
> in a given station, the use of SO2R offers a signficant advantage.
>

> But you're also very right. It takes practice and more practice
> to operate SO2R.. Though many here have claimed its easy. But
> its not. Everyone has different skill levels and not everyone can
> operate SO2R to its maximum efficiency. If the skills are there,
> the significant improvement will be there. It remains, that given
> the SO2R capability, most ops will significantly improve their scores.
> Contest scores have shown that many times.
> 73, Tom
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Barry" <w2up@mindspring.com>

Barry Kutner, W2UP
Newtown, PA