Re: [RTTY] [3830] NAQP RTTY AA5AU Single Op LP

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] [3830] NAQP RTTY AA5AU Single Op LP
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 12:37:02 -0700
On Jul 17, 2011, at 11:49 AM, iw1ayd wrote:

> Much better with the slashed zero font, if it could get here, then you
> will see a Oscar for the first and a Zero for the second  call received on
> the
> fourth line ...

You might be able to find a font that has a slash through the zero.

Try the Bitstream Vera Sans Mono, or the Onuava font
(http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/scriptorium/onuava/) for example.  Some fonts
identify zeros with a dot in the center, but even they too might be hard to
read in the heat of a contest.  The Ornuva's zero's appendage is somewhere
between a slash and a dot :-)

(http://www.urbanfonts.com/fonts/Onuava.htm)

On the current Mac OS X, both the Monaco and the Osaka Regular-Mono that ships
standard with the OS are mono-spaced fonts with a slashed zero.

Many fonts do not have a slashed zero.  Because of that, cocoaModem provides an
option to convert zeros upon reception to display the Unicode 216 (usually
ASCII 175 decimal) on the screen.  Unicode calls this the "Latin Capital Letter
O with Stroke" (see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ø;).

The reason I had included that function is because my favorite font to use on
digital modes is Adobe's Tekton Oblique, and that font does not have a slashed
zero.  However, its Scandinavian slashed O looks very nice.
(http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?productid=49185)

For that matter, Ornuva font also has a nice Scandinavian slashed-O.

You might check if your software can do this character substitution for you.
If not, it is a function that should be trivial for the developer to add.

Just be sure that when you click on the word on the screen, the program will
also convert it back to a true zero before transmitting :-).

73
Chen, W7AY