[RTTY] O vs. 0

To: "'RTTY Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] O vs. 0
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 11:22:54 -0700
In the context of 'W4HOD/O",  /zero is clearly what the station was
communicating and that's what should be logged.  "Log what you copy" is
being taken far too literally in cases like this.  "Log what the other
station communicated" is a better way to think about it.  When a station
sends cut numbers on CW, we log the communicated number, not the letter
abbreviation.  When someone sends "California" on SSB, we log "CA" not the
fully spelled word.

I don't know about Bruce's NAQP log check software, but CQ and ARRL log
check software has provision for accepting the letter 'O' as the figure '0'
if the context is clearly a number.  In any case, the human(s) using the log
check software can certainly intervene and accept either 'O' or '0' if they
wish.

Ed - W0YK