Re: [RTTY] RTTY Skimmer

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Skimmer
From: "Dave AA6YQ" <aa6yq@ambersoft.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 12:21:44 -0400
I am a RTTY DXer not a RTTY contester, but I have spent a lot of time
developing software that seeks to understand the "meaning" of digital mode
QSOs.  Two observations:

1. Expecting the RTTY community to quickly change its behavior en masse is
unrealistic. Encouraging constructive changes is still a good idea, but takes
time. Software must reliably interpret current practices.

2. In the example

QSL 73 AB1CD CQ CD1AB CD1AB

the application should know that AB1CD has been making QSOs on this frequency.
Thus it should not identify CD1AB as the CQer.

In my experience, such problems can generally be overcome by asking the
question "what additional context must be extracted and retained to enable
reliable disambiguation?" This does create the problem of deciding when to
abandon acquired context, e.g. how long after AB1CD was last heard on that
frequency do we conclude that AB1CD has QSY'd or lost propagation?

    73,

           Dave, 8P9RY