Re: [RTTY] Waterfall and CQ conundrum

To: Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Waterfall and CQ conundrum
From: Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 12:13:08 -0400
I should have googled it before I asked, Phil. There is a pretty good discussion at: http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/the-mechanics-of-one-way-propagation.379805/

Maybe an effect of polarization change.

Anyway, If one sees no signal on the history of his waterfall, It means (1) Nobody is there. (2) I can't hear him/her.

If I can't hear him/her, I won't be able to hear his reply to my QRL, will I? So the QRL with a modern panadapter/waterfall seems useless to me.

Years ago you could download a copy of PowerSDR along with a recording of the RF of an active band - you could play the recording on PowerSDR and see exactly how well the waterfall worked. Anybody know if that recording is still available?

Jerry W4UK