[SECC] Proposed New Center for Circle

Subject: [SECC] Proposed New Center for Circle
From: halken at comcast.net (Hal Kennedy)
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 16:05:42 -0300
I echo John's sentiments.  This is a healthy discussion and constructive
conversation - we must all strive to keep it that way.  I am watching
PVRC go through this process - they are struggling to keep everyone calm
and collected.  Every club has its circle problems - PVRC has it
particularly difficult, as the club is 60 years old and did, in fact,
start in the Potomac Valley, but the population of score contributors
has slowly migrated south over the years - presenting a real dilemma for
them.  Part of their conversations include: Who are we and who do we
want to be?

The SECC was never a GA club nor intended to be.  If the circle can be
moved to pick up more members and not lose any old members - wow -
that's ideal.

Matt assures me his mapping program takes into account the earth's
curvature - this can be important when trying to squeeze in members at
opposite edges.

Critical to the process is asking stations near the edges for their real
coordinates.  The published ones can be pretty far off and as has been
said here before are sometimes based on the post office nearest their
zip code - read this to mean MILES off.

Let's push ahead and see where it takes us.  Thanks to Jeff, Matt, John,
Ed and others who wish to participate.

Also echoing John's sentiment - every member should pay attention to
this discussion.  Anyone close to the edge of the old or proposed new
circle needs to speak up with their true coordinates and concerns about
"living on the edge."

73
Hal
N4GG