[SECC] Proposed New Center for Circle

Subject: [SECC] Proposed New Center for Circle
From: aa4lr at arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 08:10:53 -0400
On Jun 8, 2007, at 7:40 AM, Lee Hiers wrote:

> I certainly have no animosity toward AL folks at all.  However, the
> SECC exists primarily as a score repository, not as support for
> contest clubs everywhere.

I challenge you to quote the portion of the SECC bylaws that states
the club is only a score repository.

In fact, the bylaws state very clearly: "It shall be our purpose to
further the exchange of information and cooperation between members,
to promote contesting knowledge, fraternalism and individual/team
operating efficiency, and to conduct club programs and activities to
advance the general interest and welfare of Amateur Radio Contesting
in the community."

Read that last line very carefully! I would interpret it as meaning
that we do support contest clubs everywhere.

> If a large chunk of our circle's population
> is no longer submitting scores for the SECC, then a change in circle
> should be considered.

I don't disagree with this in principle -- especially if we can
include people in the circle who previously were unable to submit
scores for any ARRL-affiliated club. The goal here should be
inclusion -- not exclusion.

We visited this problem before, and found that it's quite hard. Since
the circle has basically been static for 11 years, there are members
all around the edge.

> OTOH, if our AL members continue to submit
> scores for the SECC, the circle is fine where it is. It becomes
> stickier if *some* AL folks continue to report for us and some don't.

What action should we take for members that are no longer in good
standing? There are certainly many SECC members who have been on the
roster for years without submitting any scores for the SECC
(regardless of where they live).

> The bottom line is that with the formation of the ACG things have
> changed, and the definition of our circle may need to be changed
> because of it.

I think we should be proud that the SECC played a part in the
formation of the ACG. Certainly the existence of the ACG promotes the
general interest and welfare of amateur radio contesting.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901